Young Leadership Qualification (YLQ)
The NEW Young Leader Qualification (from June 2014) is designed to help you take an active, positive part in running a Rainbow, Brownie or Guide unit. It is open to anyone aged 14 to 18 and is a great opportunity to develop your leadership skills to help you in the future.
The qualification consists of six modules which are completed practically.
- Module 1 – Go! and sectional training – This module focuses on the Girlguiding membership system (Go!) and learning more about the section the Young Leader works with.
- Module 2 – Leadership – This module looks at different leadership styles and when the Young Leader should use them, for example with girls of different ages.
- Module 3 – Planning – This module allows the Young Leader to demonstrate how well they understand the programme for the section they volunteer with. It will help them to make sure that the programme is right for the range of ages and abilities in their unit, that all girls take part in planning the programme, and the activities are enjoyable for the girls.
- Module 4 – Working with girls – This module allows the Young Leader to demonstrate that they understand the girls they work with and provide the best opportunities for them to grow and develop.
- Module 5 – Local guiding – This module looks at the structure of guiding in the Young Leader’s local area and how the Young Leader is supported within this.
- Module 6 – Your role in guiding – This module is about the Young Leader showing that they understand the Promise and Law, and their commitment to guiding.
The Look Wider and More record book (order code: 6110) contains the YLQ syllabus and sign-off space for the qualification or use the County Tyrone downloadable Record Booklet. There is also a downloadable WorkBook which provides further information for each of the modules and clauses of the YLQ, and will enable you to make notes and record your progress as you work through the qualification.During your qualification you will be supported by the Leader of the unit you help to run, with extra support if required available from District Young Leader Advisor.
Once you are 16, you have the option to take your leadership role further by starting work on the full Leadership Qualification. Everything you do on the Young Leader Qualification will count towards the Leadership Qualification, which means you’ll have a real head start!
Alternatively, you may decide to carry on with this qualification if you haven’t finished it. You can be a Young Leader until you’re 18, then either become an Adult Leader or a Unit Helper.
e-learning modules (suitable for Young Leaders)
Girlguiding Being a Leader e-learning modules are aimed at members who are interested in becoming a Leader, or for experienced Leaders that would like a refresher!
For further information contact –
(Cookstown District YL Advisor)
Young Leader – WorkBook
Young Leader – Record Book